1. What are the positive benefits and negative effects of the “high” that often accompanies spiritual practice?
2. What are the four levels of interpreting the Bible? Why is the date of the Torah’s first translation into a language other than Hebrew observed as a fast day?
3. Why is the service of one who is commanded greater than one who serves voluntarily?
4. What was the greatness of the Patriarchs and Matriarchs? In what way was their service greater than ours? In what way was it less?
5. Explain the quote from the Zohar, “G-d looked into the Torah and created the world.”
6. What happened at Sinai? Why is that event considered the marriage ceremony between HaShem and the Jewish people?
7. What is the difference between the spiritual effects of action versus intention? In what ways is each more potent than the other?
8. Does a mitzvah performed by rote serve any purpose? What about when motivated by self interest?
9. What are the various levels of elevating sparks through mitzvah observance?
10. What is the definition of halacha? What purpose does it serve?
See Excerpts from “The Enlightened Body”